Meeting Minutes


ARMA Liberty Bell Chapter Board of Directors


Meeting Information

Meeting Title:

May  2007 Board Meeting

Meeting Date:



3:00 – 4:00pm


Holiday Inn, Historic District – 4th and Arch, Philadelphia, PA


Meeting Participants


Eileen Reader, Janice Raphael, Edwin Rodriguez, Keith Reynolds, Bernie Lasoski, Jim Flanagan, Ray Davis and Pete Casey

Published By

Pete Casey

Date Published

May 14, 2007



Item #



Secretary – Approval of Minutes:  The Minutes for the April meeting were approved.  Bernie Lasoski made a motion to approve and it seconded by Janice Raphael


Treasurer’s Report:  Janice Raphael submitted a profit and loss sheet. The balance sheet was not presented.  Janice noted that we operated at a loss this year of a little over $1000. She proposed that we raise the price of admission by 5 dollars as a way to stem this loss of funds. A vote was taken and it was unanimously agreed to raise the price of monthly meeting admission to $30 for members and $35 for non-members.


Regional Coordinator’s Report:  Pete Casey reported that the ARMA Mid-Atlantic Region Conference will be held in Williamsburg from June 7th to 9th. Eileen Reader said that she will be able to attend as the Liberty Bell Chapter representative. Pete Casey and Ray Davis will also be attending.


Committee Reports:


Program Committee:  Janice Raphael reported that the speaker is confirmed for tonight’s meeting. Joan Mariotti will be the speaker for the May meeting. She will be doing a book review of Information Nation Warrior Seven Keys to Information Management Compliance by Randolph A. Kahn Esq. and Barclay T. Blair.

Janice sent out a questionnaire to the membership to gauge interest about potential topics. This will help us plan program topics at the planning meeting in June.


House Committee:  Edwin Rodriguez reported the arrangements have been made for the tonight’s meeting at the Holiday Inn.  There are only 14 registrations for tonight’s meeting.


Newsletter Committee:


The May 2007 Newsletter was mailed to approximately 200 chapter members, vendors, and 099 members.

 For the time period of September 2006 thru April 2007 the Chapter made a profit of advertising revenue over expenses of $724.77.   Spreadsheet is attached, but I'll bring copies to the meeting.

We have three new potential advertisers for 2007/2008: Paperless Solutions Inc., PMI, and Kyocera Mita.  Ray will also approach Office Max for newsletter advertising as they were a program sponsor and would benefit from an ad in the newsletter.

 All newsletters from September 2005 through May 2007 have been sent to Janice Hulme to be posted in PDF format for viewing and downloading on the Liberty Bell Chapter website.

The Liberty Bell Chapter of ARMA has been entered into consideration for newsletter of the year in the category for Large Chapters.   4 newsletters were selected for review, printed in full color, and sent to ARMA International.  A decision on the winners will be made at the annual conference later this year in Baltimore, Maryland.



Publicity Committee:  


Terri Carline, publicity chair, sent the publicity report to Pete Casey’s attention. Pete read the report to the board.


Terri sent the following email messages to Chapter Membership and local Mid-Atlantic Region ARMA Members:


1 - 05/02/2007: 1st email on ARMA Philadelphia May Dinner Meeting

2 - 05/07/2007: email announcement of Philadelphia AIIM Chapter Event on May 17

3 - 05/08/2007: 2nd email on LBC May Meeting


Terri sent out letters to the media to publicize the May meeting. She sent out 9 media letters and these were mailed on 04/30/2007.



Membership Committee - 


Ray Davis, membership chair, reported that current membership in our chapter in May 2007 is 144. This is an increase of 1 member from April 2006's 143. The Chapter is down 14 members from May 2006's 158.

Bernie Lasoski and Keith Reynolds will be working with Ray Davis on a 2007-2008 Membership Drive starting in June 2007.  Each month, they will use the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce website (as well as other suggested websites) to develop a target list for new members.    Our Monthly goal is to send out 50 letters to prospective members, following up with a phone call to confirm receipt of the letter, answer any questions, and invite them to our next meeting.   All those prospective members approached during the months of June/July/August will receive the September Newsletter so they'll be aware of the first meeting of our season.

Ray announced an ongoing membership project. He is combining all membership files for our chapter from March 2006 to current date.  He is reviewing when members may have dropped off of our chapter list.  His goal is to identify 1] members that have renewed but may have been assigned to other chapters.  2] Members that renewed, but did not select a primary chapter, and 3 members that did not renew, so we can solicit them to renew their membership now.  The expected completion date of this project is 7/1/07


Scholarship Committee:   Jim Flanagan reported there was an inquiry for using the scholarship. Pete Casey has inquired about using the scholarship for attending the Mid-Atlantic Region Conference.  Pete picked up the forms from Jim at the meeting.


Library Committee: Edwin Rodriguez made a request to Janice Hulme, our webmaster, to post the order form for library books separate from the inventory form.


Seminar Report: Nothing reported.


Old Business:  The Board is considering voting on old procedures that came to light after Ray Davis reviewed the minutes as part of our effort to update the chapter bylaws. Old procedures that will be reconsidered include whether to reimburse board member that do not receive funds from their company. This vote was tabled until the June planning meeting when issues for reconsideration can be distributed. A supplemental board meeting can be held before the planning meeting to discuss the issues and take a vote.



New Business:  Ray Davis presented a report to the Board. The topic of the report is Broadcasting Chapter Meeting Presentations to the Internet. Ray said he has used a technology that will allow the broadcast of audio and visual (PowerPoint presentation) over the internet. This would give us the ability to procure a larger audience. The report gave pros and cons of implementing this new service.

Janice said that we could possibly pilot this with our members up in the Lehigh Valley that have difficulty attending Chapter meetings because of the long distance.

Ray will look into costs and logistics for using this service.


Ray Davis made a motion to end the meeting.  The motion was seconded by Edwin Rodriguez. The meeting ended at 4:05



Action Items

Item #



Person Responsible

Due Date


Identifying organizations via chamber of commerce websites for marketing initiatives

Ray Davis

Ongoing business


Broadcasting Chapter Meeting Presentations to the Internet

Ray Davis

Ongoing business